About The Coalition
We are united to ensure access to safe, effective, and affordable drugs and medical devices and safeguards against unsafe exposures from medications, personal care products, and other products in our daily environment.
The Coalition is also dedicated to enhancing the ability of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to promote and protect the health of adults and children through enforcement of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act, and the ability of the Medicare program to ensure that the program covers treatments that are proven to have benefits that outweigh the risks for Medicare patients.
- The coalition is constantly changing in the more than two decades since it was first created, with new members added as recently as 2023.
- We consist of 30+ patient, consumer, and public health organizations from all over the country.
- We have released over 100 policy position public comments, testimonies, and letters to government officials on a wide range of issues including but not limited to drug approval, device regulation, Medicare coverage, patent reform, to the dangers of artificial turf and toxic chemicals.
Advocate For Safe and effective Medical Products
- Advocate for the timely approval of safe and effective prescription drugs and medical devices supported by a thorough, unbiased review of the evidence.
- Serve as a voice for patients, consumers, and public health in advocating for federal policies that will lead to the increased availability and appropriate prescribing of safe, effective, and affordable drugs and medical devices.
Educate the public and lawmakers
- Provide decision-makers with timely analyses and recommendations on federal policies affecting safety, effectiveness and affordability of medications, medical devices, and other consumer products with implications for health.
- Promote education and greater awareness of drug and medical device safety and effectiveness issues on the part of the general public, patients, and those who care for them.
Promote Government Independence and enforcement authority
- Ensure that federal government researchers are free to do their work and analyses based on the best available science, free from corporate and political interference.
- Enhance the funding and enforcement ability of the federal agencies responsible for research, regulation and oversight of medications, medical devices, and other consumer products.
Promote Government Transparency
- Promote transparency of the FDA’s decision-making process by advocating for better public access to information about medical products and the basis for FDA decisions.